Choosing preschool names can be fun, but it’s important to remember that the purpose of your business’ name is to attract the attention of both parents and children and draw them in. Even the differences between child care center names, in home daycare names, or preschool names are important distinctions that you’ll want to consider. The list of possibilities is endless, and there are a few things that are vital to consider before you decide on a winner.
Daycare or preschool names: things to consider
- Your location and audience. Unique preschool names attract attention, but make sure to think about who will be seeking your services. Is your preschool in an urban, suburban, or rural area? If you want to stand out, do some research and check out the names of other preschools in your area. When you come up with something, try adding the name of your town or street to it and see how it rolls off the tongue.
- The physical features of your surroundings. Are there any special features in your geographical area, such as a certain type of tree or mountains, lakes, or beaches? Adding these types of words can help you come up with a name that’s cute and connects to your location. For example, “Royal Oak Preschool.”
- What you do. Which age group(s) does your preschool serve? Using the words “children,” “kids,” “toddlers,” and “infants” can help make exactly what you are offering clear. Do you offer daycare as well? If so, you may want to include it in your name.
- Your philosophy. Using words related to your teaching philosophy gives parents an idea of what your preschool is all about. Take some to time think about your mission and vision for your preschool, and create a name that clearly describes it. If your preschool is ministry-based or has a religious-based curriculum you can potentially leverage religious references in a biblical daycare name. Cute daycare names may be great in some instances but may not work for a more structured preschool that has a more rigid teaching methodology.
- How the name sounds. Positive adjectives such as “happy,” “little,” “smart,” “fun,” “learn,” and “cheerful” sound appealing when included in a preschool’s name. Pull out the thesaurus to find some unique synonyms for these common words. The name of your preschool should be warm, welcoming, and convey the message that children will be safe, learn, and have fun while in your charge. A catchy daycare name may sound like great on paper but make sure it elicits the response and feeling you are hoping for. Many people think the best daycare names are fun and playful or even silly but taken too far and it might fall flat. This often happens with very clever or witty daycare names that have metaphors or puns that not everyone would understand.
Get by with a little help from your friends
Ideas often come in a flash, and two heads are better than one, right? Seeking input from family, friends, and members of the early childhood education community in your area can help you pick a name that stands out. Try one or all of these brainstorming activities, and you’ll have more options than you know what to do with:
- Take a poll. Create a short survey and post it on social media to get input from your friends, family, and community. Don’t be afraid to use alliteration and rhymes! e.g., “Little Learners Montessori School”
- Have a preschool-naming party. Plan a fun, family-friendly get-together where adults and kids alike can write, draw, and help you brainstorm names for your preschool. You’ll be amazed at how many unique ideas come up!
- Create a logo. If you or someone you know is more of a visual thinker, design and draw a logo to create a spark of inspiration.
Research your preschool’s name
Once you have chosen a few options, it’s important to make sure the names you’re considering are not already taken by another business. Once you’ve chosen a name and have checked with the state to make sure it’s not taken, register your business entity right away.
Picking a name for your preschool doesn’t have to be a chore—get creative, ask for input, and enjoy the power of your imagination as you embark on this exciting new adventure.